Thursday, February 02, 2006

... Synapse's Monologue of Discontent ...

Salam.

My name is Synapse.


I am the gap between two neurons, a tiny space that witnesses the jumping of an impulse from one world to another.

.

.

Was I ever born? Or, created simply because two worlds could never merge into one another? Was I powerless to be born? Or, is my birth an example of the power of the distances that must be created for the betterment of mankind? Hah, whatever that is.

.

.

Man-anything-but-kind.
.

.

I agree my name is not quite mellifluous, nothing you’d like to name your child after, or base your poetry on… just a name for myopic big brains to pronounce meticulously over microphones. They speak of me as if I live with them… but they have never seen me with unaided eyes, ever. They ‘discover’ me behind narrow tubes and technical glasses and jump to conclusions about me. Such is the working of human beings, one distant glance and you are ready to write a book on it.
.

.

Hell, I can't be complaining.

.

.

I was not born... I mean, I was not created to be a cynic or a rebel. I was created to watch and remind myself I do matter... even when both neuronic worlds think I am nothing but an impotent gap between them.

.

.

.

There are some out there, in that field of "mankind" who are like me... and they might be able to identify with me. We are those who weren't created to be leaders, we were created out of a need, a sort of need that necessitates our use and telling us we don’t have much of an identity to boast about.

.

.

.

Haven’t the users been extra-gregarious already that they NAMED us something? Just like any Roman citizen? A synapse wouldn’t have such a right in Roman history, if you think about it.

All rise for the present civilization!

All bow to the present civil liberties!

All praise the new world order that exhorts and patronizes nomenclature!

.

.

.

A civilization that names everything, categorizes everything: “this drop of water contains more Magnesium, Potassium, and Carbonate than that drop of water… hence, we label this Natural Spring Water, and the latter Demineralized water." Don’t you dare sip a subjective amount of either before knowing the names, sire…

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

I am sorry, I am digressing.

.

.

I didn’t come here to write a satirical piece on a world blighted with nomenclature.

.

.

I came, instead, to tell you… I am just a gap.

.

.


Gap.

.

.

Brilliant, make that a brand name now…

.

I can't seem to find an apt conclusion for this letter to you, "man-kind" (can you think of another name for yourself? Homo-homo sapiens! Oh yes!). But then, gaps don't have to finish what they are saying, that's hardly a prophecy that were created to fulfill. And then again, who's listening?

.

.

.

I should go now, the presynaptic terminal is ready to send something across.

.

.

.

.

I do wish, secretly... to be a neurotransmitter, sometimes... life of action and attention.

Wa'salam....

.

.

.

2 comments:

Barooq said...

wah jee wah ...
It inspired me to start my piece ... You are honoured to see the first line:D


Hello
My name is testosterone ...

I am waiting for more inspiration for which I'll have to read your post again :D

Faizan said...

" There are some out there, in that field of "mankind" who are like me... and they might be able to identify with me. We are those who weren't created to be leaders, we were created out of a need, a sort of need that necessitates our use and telling us we don’t have much of an identity to boast about. "

*looks up at the roof*
* Exhales a warm air..*

* Relaxed *